Fact: Exposing yourself to the sun or to temperatures higher than 25C degrees DOES NOT prevent the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) You can catch COVID-19, no matter how sunny or hot the weather is. Countries with hot weather have reported cases of COVID-19. To protect yourself, make sure you clean your hands frequently and thoroughly and avoid touching your eyes, mouth, and nose.
Fact: Drinking alcohol does not protect you against COVID-19 and can be dangerous Frequent or excessive alcohol consumption can increase your risk of health problems.
Fact: Adding pepper to your soup or other meals DOES NOT prevent or cure COVID-19 Hot peppers in your food, though very tasty, cannot prevent or cure COVID-19. The best way to protect yourself against the new coronavirus is to keep at least 1 metre away from others and to wash your hands frequently and thoroughly. It is also beneficial for your general health to maintain a balanced diet, stay well hydrated, exercise regularly and sleep well.
Fact: Taking a hot bath does not prevent the new coronavirus disease Taking a hot bath will not prevent you from catching COVID-19. Your normal body temperature remains around 36.5°C to 37°C, regardless of the temperature of your bath or shower. Actually, taking a hot bath with extremely hot water can be harmful, as it can burn you. The best way to protect yourself against COVID-19 is by frequently cleaning your hands. By doing this you eliminate viruses that may be on your hands and avoid infection that could occur by then touching your eyes, mouth, and nose.
Fact: The new coronavirus CANNOT be transmitted through Mosquito bites or Houseflies To date there has been neither information nor evidence to suggest that the new coronavirus could be transmitted by mosquitoes. The new coronavirus is a respiratory virus which spreads primarily through droplets generated when an infected person coughs or sneezes, or through droplets of saliva or discharge from the nose. To protect yourself, clean your hands frequently with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water. Also, avoid close contact with anyone who is coughing and sneezing.
Fact: No, hand dryers are not effective in killing the 2019-nCoV. To protect yourself against the new coronavirus, you should frequently clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water. Once your hands are cleaned, you should dry them thoroughly by using paper towels or a warm air dryer.
Fact: No, antibiotics do not work against viruses, it’s only for bacteria. The new coronavirus (2019-nCoV) is a virus and therefore antibiotics should not be used as a means of prevention or treatment. However, if you are hospitalized for the 2019-nCoV, you may receive antibiotics because bacterial co-infection is possible.
Fact: Ultra-violet (UV) lamps should not be used to disinfect hands or other areas of your skin UV radiation can cause skin irritation and damage your eyes. Cleaning your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or washing your hands with soap and water are the most effective ways to remove the virus.
Fact: Being able to hold your breath for 10 seconds or more without coughing or feeling discomfort DOES NOT mean you are free from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) or any other lung disease The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are dry cough, tiredness and fever. Some people may develop more severe forms of the disease, such as pneumonia. The best way to confirm if you have the virus producing COVID-19 disease is with a laboratory test. You cannot confirm it with this breathing exercise, which can even be dangerous.
Fact: 5G Mobile networks DO NOT spread COVID-19 Viruses cannot travel on radio waves/mobile networks. COVID-19 is spreading in many countries that do not have mobile networks. COVID-19 is spread through respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs sneezes or speaks. People can also be infected by touching a contaminated surface and then their eyes, mouth or nose
The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhoea. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually. Some people become infected but don’t develop any symptoms and don't feel unwell. Most people (about 80 per cent) recover from the disease without needing special treatment.
People can contract COVID-19 from others who have the virus. It is spread from an infected person through
Wearing a face mask can limit the spread of certain respiratory viral diseases, including COVID-19. However, the use of a mask alone is not sufficient to provide an adequate level of protection. Other measures such as physical distancing and hand hygiene should be adopted.
COVID-19 can cause more severe symptoms and complications in some people living with diabetes, the elderly, and those with other chronic conditions such as heart disease & lung disease. It is important to minimize this risk by being proactive with your prevention strategies.
Create a household plan of action to help protect your and your family health from Covid-19
Cleaning with soap and water removes germs, dirt, and impurities from surfaces. It lowers the risk of spreading infection. Disinfecting kills germs on surfaces. By killing germs on a surface after cleaning, it can further lower the risk of spreading infection.
No. At this time, routine testing of animals for COVID-19 is not recommended.
If you have a fever, cough or other symptoms, you might have COVID-19. Most people have mild illness and are able to recover at home. If you think you may have been exposed to COVID-19, contact your healthcare provider immediately.
Steps to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 if you are sick:
The covid-19 infection is a double challenge for people with diabetes Therefore need intensive attention to follow the general prevention advice to avoid infection with COVID-19. “Preparation and precautions are the best protection”.
Steps to prevent COVID-19:
Diabetes mellitus is the most common condition reported among all COVID-19 patients. But no need to panic, know and apply the sick day rules to stay safe. For better care in this COVID-19 era here are some sick day rules for you to follow:
Know the fact to save your community and to save the Nation
Isolate yourself from others
Contact the health authorities to report the cases
Follow social distancing while out for essential services
Take special care of elderly and children in the family
Avoid public transport and crowded places
Support without stigma and discrimination to one who is sick
The low-cost measures below will help prevent the spread of infections in your workplace. You should start doing these things now, even if COVID-19 has not arrived in the communities where you work “Healthier habits for healthy workplace”.
Wipe surfaces and objects with disinfectant regularly
Frequently disinfect your hands with the help of sanitizer
Keep face masks & tissue paper available at your workplace
Cover your face with tissue paper if anyone sneezes or coughs
Avoid handshakes and any physical contact
Stay at home even for mild cough and low grade fever
The human body’s Immune system functions 24/7 to protect, prevent and fight against infections, germs and cancer. Therefore a number of people root to supplements to increase their immunity but that’s not such a wise choice. Here are simple home remedies that can significantly amplify your immunity to fight against COVID-19
1. Turmeric (haldi) Turmeric has been used in cooking and medicine for ages. Haldi is high on antioxidants that neutralize free radicals and help your immune system in proper functioning. It is known to have anti-inflammatory properties and treats chronic inflammation, pain, anxiety as well as helps with metabolic syndrome.
Remedy tip: Drink a glass of lukewarm milk with a spoonful of turmeric powder and dried forms are also used in curries.
2. Ginger: Is an easily available food item that can be found in every kitchen. Garlic can improve your blood circulation and impressive antiviral, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It contains compound such as gingerols and zingerone that helps to prevent the growth of the virus.
Remedy tip: Start using ginger more efficiently in your cooking or one can enjoy a cup of famous ‘Adhrakh” wali chaye or garlic tea twice daily to boost immunity.
3. Garlic: Garlic is an essential superfood that is easily available at home and within your budget. Garlic enhances immune functions with its antibacterial, antiviral & antifungal properties. It does not only work for this but is also a source of Vitamin C and B6 along with minerals manganese and selenium.
Remedy tip: All you need to do is to increase the intake of garlic in your cooking to boost your daily immunity.
4. Lemon: Is a common item found in every household, it is highly rich in vitamin C and helps your white blood cells function properly to combat infections and remove toxins.
Remedy Tip: Detox your body with a glass of lukewarm water filled with lemon slices, early in the morning.
5. Honey: Is a natural antibacterial and antioxidant that can boost your immune system as well as help you reduce unwanted fat. Honey a common household item is not less than a magician’s trick as it can also help your body heal.
Remedy Tips: Consume one glass of lukewarm water with a spoonful of honey every morning to increase your immunity. Another use of honey can be for detoxifying your body by adding lemon to your lukewarm honey water.
6. Kalonji (Black fennel seeds): Also known as Habbat Al-Barakah or the seed of blessing is truly a blessing in disguise of small black seeds. Kalonji possesses immunity-boosting properties that stimulate body’s energy and help get speedy recovery from fatigue. Black seeds rejuvenate the body with its detoxification properties.
Remedy Tips: Increase use of Kalonji in your cooking or consume crushed black seeds with honey in lukewarm water every day.
7. Green Tea: Regularly drinking green tea is another simple home remedy to boost immunity. Several beneficial compounds in green tea help increase “regulatory T cells” in the body that play a key role in immune function and suppression of autoimmune disease. The antioxidants in green tea protect the body from free-radical damage, which is essential to keep the immune system running normally.
Remedy Tips: Drink 2 to 3 cups of green tea daily: Steep a green tea bag in a cup of hot water for 5 minutes, remove the tea bag, add honey and drink it.
8. Tulsi (Basil) has antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties that can help fight several viral infections. A basil contains compounds like apigenin and ursolic acid, which is effective on herpes, hepatitis B, and enterovirus.
Remedy Tips: Add 3-4 fresh Tulsi leaves in tea daity or wash and eat directly
9. Peepli: Peepli is a traditional medicinal herb which is also known for its strong aromatic notes, It also shows that regular usage of this may be helpful in diabetes, curbing down the symptoms usually associated with a persistent respiratory infection, bronchitis, cold, cough, asthma, improve blood circulation, and strengthen immunity.
Remedy Tips: Use weekly 3-4 Peepli to boost immunity
10. Fennel: The main compound of fennel seeds is trans-anethole, which is found to be quiet effective against herpes viruses. The small seeds also boost your immunity and decrease inflammation in the body.
Remedy Tips: Post every meal eat fennel
11. Vitamin D is a powerful source that helps in boosting your immunity. Vit D modulates innate and adaptive immune responses. High levels of Vit D increase susceptibility to infections.
Remedy Tip: Change your dietary plan and add items rich in Vit D to increase your immunity. Items like fish (salmon or tuna), cheese, egg yolk, orange juice and milk have higher levels of Vit D source.
12. Probiotic Yogurt: Eating probiotic yogurt every day is one of the best home remedies for low immunity. Probiotic yogurt contains billions of friendly gut organisms (probiotics) that help strengthen your immune system. It aids the development of white blood cells and antibodies, which in turn reduces the incidence and duration of infections.
Remedy Tips: Eat 2 cups of probiotic yogurt with live cultures daily. You can also drink a smoothie made with yogurt and immune-boosting fruits like apples bananas, blueberries, and strawberries.
13. Red Bell Peppers: Red bell peppers contain almost 3 times as much vitamin C as a Florida orange. They’re also a rich source of beta carotene. Besides boosting your immune system, vitamin C may help you maintain healthy skin. Beta carotene, which your body converts into vitamin A, helps keep your eyes and skin healthy.
Remedy Tips: Use it in various caries or salad once or twice a week
14. Broccoli: is supercharged with vitamins and minerals. Packed with vitamins A, C, and E, as well as fiber and many other antioxidants, broccoli is one of the healthiest vegetables you can put on your plate.
Remedy Tips: The key to keeping its power intact is to cook it as little as possible or steaming is the best way to keep more nutrients in the food.
15. Papaya: Is another fruit loaded with vitamin C, papayas also have a digestive enzyme called papain that has anti-inflammatory effects. Papayas have decent amounts of potassium, magnesium, and folate, all of which are beneficial to your overall health.
Remedy Tips: the daily recommended amount of vitamin C in a single medium fruit.